Moriroku's long journey to the present day
The beginnings of the Moriroku Group can be traced back to the year 1663 in the former province of Awa in Tokushima Prefecture. Thanks to your patronage and support, we marked the 360th anniversary of our founding in 2023.
Have a look for yourself at the long history that the Moriroku Group shares with the development of chemical industries in Japan, starting with our initial forays in the distribution of the natural raw materials of indigo and manure.
The origin of the company name “Moriroku”
In 1663, Moriroku founder Yasube Mori started trading in indigo dye balls and fertilizer in the form of dried sardines under the company name “Shimaya.” Subsequently, during the tenure of Rokube Mori, the sixth-generation head of the company (1853), Shimaya started doing business in the Kanto region. The “Roku” and “Mori” taken from the given and family names of this president were rearranged to form what would become the company’s new name, “Moriroku.”
Early history from 1663 to 1915
Sales of indigo dyed goods commenced and spread nationwide
Established Kanto area sales headquarters in Edo （Tokyo）
Exhibited Awa indigo at Paris International Exposition
Started wholesaling of domestic and foreign fertilizers
Opened Kobe Offices
Opened Osaka Office
Growth from 1916 to 1948
The company was reorganized into a modern chemical trading business
Moriroku reorganized as a joint-stock company
Moved the head office to Osaka (Opened Shikoku Office)
Started dealing in food mold inhibitors
Opened Nagoya Office
Laying solid foundations from 1949 to 1964
Moriroku continued to establish a foothold as a manufacturer
Started dealing in vinyl chloride
Started dealing in low-pressure polyethylene, and developed product application methods
Moved the head office to Muromachi, Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo (Opened Osaka branch)
Changed the trade name to Moriroku Trading Company, Ltd.
Transformation from 1965 to 1985
The company started full-fledged production of auto parts
Constructed new factory in Suzuka City, Mie
Moved the head office to Kasumigaseki Building, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Opened the Technical Service Center
Constructed Kanto Plant in Ohizumi-cho, Ohra-gun, Gunma
Changed the trade name to Moriroku Company Ltd.
Constructed the Technical Research Center and prototype facility in Kawagoe City, Saitama
Expansion from 1986 to 2007
Moriroku began expanding its operations globally
Established a local corporation Greenville Technology, Inc. in Ohio, U.S.A. through joint venture with Honda
Constructed Meiwa Factory in Meiwa-cho, Ohra-gun, Gunma
Established a local corporation, Moriroku Philippines, Inc. in Laguna, Philippines
Opened Bangkok Representative Office
Established a local corporation, Moriroku (Thailand) Co., Ltd., in Bangkok, Thailand
Established a local corporation Rainsville Technology, Inc. in Alabama, U.S.A.
Established a local corporation, Guangzhou Moriroku Technology Co., Ltd. in Guangzhou, China
Established a local corporation, Moriroku (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. in Shanghai, China
Established Moriroku (Guangzhou) Trading Co., Ltd.
Moved the head office to Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Consolidated Chemical Department and Plastic Department into Chemical Business HQ (reorganization).
Established Moriroku Precision Co., Ltd.
Reorganization from 2008
A holding company framework was adopted and Moriroku Holdings was publicly listed
Established Moriroku America, Inc.
Established Moriroku Agri Co., Ltd.
Established Moriroku Chemicals Korea Co., Ltd.
Established PT. Moriroku Technology Indonesia
Consolidated Kanto Plant, Meiwa Plant and Mold Production Plant (in Kawagoe City, Saitama) into Ota City, Gunma.
Moriroku Holdings was listed on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange
Established MORIROKU CHEMICALS INDIA PRIVATE LIMITED
Moriroku Holdings was moved to the Prime Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange
Established THE REPRESENTATIVE OFFICE OF MORIROKU CHEMICALS CO., LTD. IN HO CHI MINH CITY